Ads (728x90)

About Us



Wimbledon on the BBCVenue: All-England Club Dates: 27 June-10 July

Live: Coverage across BBC TV, BBC Radio and BBC Sport website with further coverage on Red Button, Connected TVs and app. Click for more details


I hope Liam Broady is really pumped and excited for our first-round match at Wimbledon on Tuesday, because these are the moments you play for.

I obviously hope that I win the match but I know Liam pretty well and this is a big opportunity for him to go out there, give it a go and show everybody what he's got.

You want to be playing on the big courts against the best players, in front of a big crowd, and there's no pressure on him, so I'm expecting him to play good tennis.

And Liam won't be the only one who's nervous - before any of the Slams I feel the tension, and as the tournament goes on it calms down a little bit each day.

Broady beat Marinko Matosevic over five sets in last year's first round

This will be my 11th Wimbledon and I would say it feels different to when I first played. Then there was no expectation and winning the first match was a good, positive start. Now, if I don't win the first match it's a disaster!

But I do feel good right now, I'm happy with the way I'm playing and practising and, yes, I'm ready.
'I think the Brits can spring surprises'

With 15 British players involved in the singles competitions at Wimbledon this year, and the recent success in doubles for my brother Jamie and Dom Inglot, it does feel like there's a bit of a feelgood factor around British tennis at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, but this tournament is a big chance for some of them to make their mark and you just hope they do themselves justice, because it's tough working your way up through the rankings.

I played a lot of Futures tournaments, below the main tour, when I was 15, 16, 17 years old, and then you come to somewhere like Wimbledon, in front of a huge crowd with a great atmosphere, and the next week you go back to playing the Futures where there can be 10 or 15 people watching.

It's a totally different feeling, a different atmosphere, and I think you need to take motivation from matches like these when you're back in the smaller events and say "that's where I want to be".

Post a Comment